UK Gamesday 2008, thousands of wargamers, loads of games, and a fair bit of new and interesting stuff from GamesWorkshop…..
I was fortunate enough to buy my ticket early enough to get into one of the games development seminars, covering the new marine codex, the fantasy warriors of chaos army book and anything else we wanted to ask. The new Chaos warriors looks very interesting (I had a chance to flick through the book):
- all chaos warriors come with chaos armour
- chaos chosen are now a special choice but are WS6 monsters who get to roll on the eye of the Gods table (more on that later)
- Chaos knights cause fear, have new plastics, and will only cost Â£12 for a box of five
- Trolls and other monsters will be available again, along with a new “warÂ altar”.
- The hellcannon is toned down a bit, but is only a single rare choice
- A whole host of new special characters (including a slanneshi champion who gets 7 S5 attacks and a hero who can bring a unit on from any edge of the board)
- The eye of the Gods table. Heros who kill a champion in a challenge, chosen, trolls which regenerate 2+ wounds in a single phase etc get to roll on a table (2d6) with a range of boosts. 1 in 36 to be stupid, 1 in 6 to get ignored, all the rest are boosts, from +1 S/T/Ld all the way up to cause terror and stubborn with a 4+ ward save and last for the whole game.
- 3 new magics spell lists, including a spell cast on a 15+ which causes 2d6 hits at strength 2d6, and if you roll 11 or 12 for strength, the whole unit disappears….
The new marine codex was available in (very) limited numbers- it sold out in the first 10 or so minutes. Most of the information has leaked already like the new veterans (very nice), the changes to scouts and the thunderfire gun (although this is a blast weapon with as many shots as a scatter laser and 3 fire modes- one which ignores cover, one which is high strength and one which makes difficult terrain. All have poor AP)
The new assault dreadnought will be getting a plastic model, I have seen the 3D computer model, it looks nice, but is still a work in progress. Sorry, no photos, none were allowed in the seminars.
From the free questions I now know the following:
- They refused to answer questions about stompers, indicating they are in the pipeline. When? who knows, but probably not too long…
- No current plans to make farseer or warlock jetbike kits
- spacewolves might get a codex in the 12-18 month range
- If sisters of battle do get plastics, it will be in the 3-5 year range.
- After the marine codex comes out, they will not be releasing FAQs to update the older codeci (dark angels etc), so you get to keep the good and the bad (better scouts, but worse storm shields)
- and lots of other stuff that I have forgotten, because I forgot to bring a pad to write on….
more to follow later….